The Okavango Delta consists of a multitude of main channels, smaller tributaries and lagoons as well as floodplains, islands and mainland areas. The watercourses are constantly changing due to annual flooding as well as a combination of sediment transport, seismic activity, the construction of termite mounds, and the continual opening up of new channels by feeding hippopotami and the closing of others by new vegetation growth.
There are two fairly distinct areas of the Okavango Delta - the permanent swamp, which is inundated with water all year round, and the seasonal swamp, which is flooded annually and dries gradually with the onset of summer.
Types of Rooms
Eagle Island Camp has 12 luxury spacious tents (one of which is a private suite) all set under thatch, and placed on raised wooden decks with views of the lagoon. The tent interiors are luxuriously appointed with such comforts as an en suite bathroom, private fully stocked mini bar, four poster bed complete with mosquito netting, and discreet air conditioning.
- 'His and hers' vanity unit
- Private viewing deck
- Outside lounge, with hammock and ceiling fan
- Air conditioning
- In-room safe
- Hair dryer
- Electric overhead fan (24-hour use)
- 110v/220v plugs for electric razors
- Facilities for charging camera batteries
- 24-hour DC battery lighting in guest rooms
- Intercom system to reception
- Romantic bars located on its own private island away from the main camp.
- Al fresco dining area overlooking the surrounding lagoon.
- Private site for spectacular bush brunches / dinners (on request).
- A 20-metre swimming pool ideal to catch up on some laps.
- Curio shop with safari wear, essential toiletries, local art and craft objects.
- Internet access and satellite TV located discreetly away from the main lounge and dining areas.
- VHS radio communications plus 24-hour emergency facilities.
- Tent to tent internal telephone service.
- Satellite phone on request.
- High powered telescope for star gazing presentations.
- Same day laundry service.
- Small reference library of books on the flora and fauna of the area.
- Environmental flora and fauna check lists.
- Talks and lectures by the camp's environmentalist, on request.
- Private airstrip and helicopter landing pad.