COVID-19 Protocols & Entry Requirements
International Travel Status
Open - Rwanda reopened its borders to international guests on 17 June 2020.
Access into Rwanda
Kigali International Airport is open but land borders remain closed except for cargo and returning Rwandan citizens and residents.
- All travelers arriving into Rwanda must have a negative COVID-19 certificate performed within 72 hours prior to departure. Travelers must be tested and get results within 3 days of their first flight.
- They must complete the passenger locator form and upload the COVID-19 test certificate prior to arrival. Please see the passenger locator form and list of designated transit hotels on www.rbc.gov.rw.
- All travelers arriving or transiting through Rwanda will be screened upon entry and take a second RT-PCR test to confirm the negative results of the test done prior to arrival. They are required to wait 24 hours for the results of their COVID-19 test in a designated transit hotel.
- All travelers departing Rwanda MUST test negative for COVID-19. The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV 2 (RT-PCR) performed within 120 hours before departure. Travelers are encouraged to book and pay for their tests at least 2 days prior to departure through the online platform available on www.rbc.gov.rw.
- All departing travelers are required to wait 48 hours forthe results oftheir COVID-19 testfrom the time
of sample collection.
- Tourists visiting National Parks will be required to present a negative SARS-CoV 2 RT-PCR test with the exception of Akagera National Park where a negative Antigen Rapid Test results for COVID-19 will be accepted.
- All guests staying at various hotels countrywide are required to present a negative SARS-CoV 2 RT-PCR or Antigen Rapid COVID-19 test.
- Volcanoes National Park: All international guests are expected to present their test results at the Kinigi reception center prior to visiting Volcanoes National Park. For gorillas, a group of 6 (six) trackers will be permitted for a maximum of 1 (one) hour for every visitation. For golden monkeys, a group of 12 (twelve) trackers will be permitted for a maximum of 1 (one) hour for every visitation. Trackers must wear masks and are required to maintain a distance of at least 10 meters (32 feet) from gorillas at all times.
- Nyungwe National Park: All international guests are expected to present their test results at the Uwinka or Gisakura visitor centers prior to visiting the park. For chimpanzees, a group of 8 (eight) trackers will be permitted for a maximum of 1 (one) hour for every visitation. Trackers must wear masks and are expected to maintain a distance of at least 10 (ten) meters (32 feet) at all times while visiting primates in Nyungwe National Park.
- Akagera National Park: An Antigen Rapid Test will be conducted at the entrance. The results are available within 15 minutes after a test is taken. Day and night drives limit the number of people to 6 (six) per safari vehicle and boat trips to 6 (six) people per trip.
- Face masks are compulsory when out in public and physical distancing of 2 meters (6 feet) must be followed.
Guests must have a negative PCR COVID-19 test that is no more than 72 hours old to enter the Volcanoes and Nyungwe National Parks. A negative PCR or rapid antigen test is required to enter Akagera National Park.
Kigali International Airport: All passengers will be given a PCR COVID-19 Test on arrival. Cost: USD 60 per person. Cash or credit card accepted. Open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Guests will be required to wait in a designated quarantine hotel for 24 hours until their tests results are released.
Volcanoes National Park: PCR tests are organized at all the properties in the area. Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, One & Only Gorilla Heights, Singita Kwitonda & Kataza House, Bisate Lodge and Mountain Gorilla View Lodge. Cost: USD 70. Cash is the preferred payment. Results are returned in 12 to 24 hours.
Nyungwe National Park: PCR tests are organized at One & Only Nyungwe House. Test: USD 70 + USD 20 per person for transport. Cash is the preferred payment. Results are returned in 12 to 24 hours
Akagera National Park: Rapid Antigen Tests are organized at Kayonza, Rwamagana or Nyagatare. Cost: USD 10 per person. Cash is the preferred payment. Results are returned in 1 to 3 hours.
We are merely acting as a facilitator in order to assist Guests who require a COVID-19 test. Guests are solely liable for settling all COVID-19 related fees and costs which are paid for on the ground at the time of testing. All testing is carried out by third parties with no association or affiliation to us and we are not liable or responsible for any issues, delays or problems encountered during the testing process or the performance or non-performance of the testing facilities.
Please note: The above information has been researched with the utmost care. However, we can provide no guarantee of accuracy and the information and detail change regularly. Please always check travel restrictions both in your home country and the destination you are travelling to before you book and before travel.